Helen Pernell Community Scholarship Information & Application
Chandler Service Club awarded its first academic scholarship, a $500 award, in 1958 to a graduating high school senior. It was later named the Helen Pernell University Scholarship in honor of founding member and first president, Helen Handley Pernell.
Chandler Service Club believes that education is the key to building healthy families. Since 1952, hundreds of Chandler residents have received financial assistance to obtain their college degrees. High school seniors and adults pursuing a college degree, especially those experiencing financial hardship, are given opportunities to pursue their dreams of advanced education through our scholarship program.
- Applicant must submit a typed and signed application form.
- Applicant must include an essay of no more than 1000 words describing personal, educational and career goals. Circumstances demonstrating financial need must also be explained in detail.
- For first-time college students, a high school transcript and three letters of recommendation from non-relatives who can attest to the applicant’s character and potential for success should be submitted. These may include former teachers, advisors or employers.
- For re-entry and returning college/trade school students, a college/trade school transcript from most recent school attended and three letters of recommendation from non-relatives that can attest to the applicant’s character and potential for success should be submitted. These may include former or current teachers, advisors, counselors or employers.
- Applicant must have a minimum of 2.5 grade point average.
- Applicant must have applied to or be enrolled in an accredited public or private community college, trade school or university within the state of Arizona as a full time student (minimum or 12 units or credits per semester).*
- Proof of enrollment must be shown prior to receiving the scholarship funds prior to each semester.
- The scholarship is for one academic year and is to be used for tuition, books and other academic related fees.
- Scholarship recipients must maintain a minimum 2.5 grade point average.
- Scholarship funds will be paid directly to the school prior to each semester.
- A Helen Pernell Scholarship recipient may re-apply for each academic year for which financial assistance is needed, provided all scholarship requirements have been met.
- A Chandler Service Club Community Scholarship may be awarded to the same individual for no more than five consecutive academic years.
Documents are accepted online, email and by mail. Please complete, upload and submit all required documents no later than April 2, 2023. Faxed copies will not be accepted. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. Scholarship recipients will be notified in April 2023.
Please mail to:
Chandler Service Club Community Scholarships
P.O. Box 1243
Chandler, AZ 85244
Contact: Mrs Billie Ross email@example.com
Helen Pernell Scholarship Recommendation Form
Applicant: Please obtain information from recommenders and submit with your completed application.
Recommender: Please prepare on a separate letterhead and submit it directly to the applicant.
- Name of Applicant:
- Name of Recommender:
- Relationship to Applicant: (Teacher, Counselor, Other, please specify)
- Please provide your frank statement based on your knowledge of the applicant, length of acquaintance, reason you believe he/she is a worthy candidate for the Jewel Lewis Scholarship.